Tuesday, November 3, 2015

pretty girls



"Happy girls are the prettiest," (Aubrey Hepburn) so put a smile on your face even if that's not what you feel. Intelligence is sexy so make sure you're smart so you can attract a good partner. Confidence is key (to securing a mate). We are told to have certain characteristics in order to boost our own appeal.

Can't I just be happy because it's healthy? Can't I be smart because I enjoy learning and want to pursue my goals? Can't I have confidence because I don't need to attract anyone to feel validated? We live in a time where even our personality traits are tied to our outward appearance and appeal. Because that is what has been labeled as the most important since day one.

Young girls are told to be beautiful, as if beauty is the best thing you can have. We are told to be pretty, as if that is the epitome of our existence. We are told to put on some lipstick and be charming. Because that's what we were brought into this world to do. Other traits that we develop throughout our lives with either enhance or diminish our beauty, so choose what characteristics you develop very carefully.

I hate the fact that I don't feel attractive unless I have attention from my male peers. I hate that as humans, we crave love and affection so much that we often tear ourselves down when we don't have it. I hate that all of my qualities can be tied back to whether or not I am attractive to everyone else. I want to be called beautiful and I want to be admired. I want to be more than the girl you can talk to about sports or your girl problems. I want to be more than your "bro." But I don't want to want that. I hate that I want it.

I do, begrudgingly, want to be noticed for my beauty. But the truth is, I want to be noticed for so much more.

I have so much more to offer than my appearance.
I want to be noticed for my witty humor or my athleticism.
I want someone to tell me that I am inspiring and ambitious.
Tell me that I am passionate,
Insightful,
Strong,
Fierce,
Independent,
Assertive,
Eloquent.

Compliment more than the way I look, because your eyes will never be able to see all that I really am.





No comments:

Post a Comment