Wednesday, September 20, 2017

shame and the gospel


Recently, I have had lots of questions regarding the gospel. They vary in topic and most I keep to myself. But about a month and a half ago, I got the nerve to throw some of these questions into the strange void that is twitter.com. Here is a screengrab of part of that thread (yes, my name here is "freakin bats." please try to ignore that):


I posed these questions partially hoping for people to respond with their perspectives but mostly just to throw out some thoughts I was having in hopes I wasn't alone in questioning things. Side note: If you have thoughts on Heavenly Mother and both the doctrine and culture surrounding her, I would love to chat.

However, the response that struck me most, was from a girl who has since blocked me and protected her tweets so I cannot include a screenshot of her reply. She indicated that she was tired of sacred things being questioned and called out as sexism. She felt that if I were faithful enough, these questions would not matter. And naturally, I was pretty upset. I felt like she was saying that my questions and concerns were not worth discussing and that my inquiry was due to a lack of faith. And I felt the opposite. I felt that I had faith in something and someone I do not know much about. I was asking questions, from my perspective, to gain understanding about something I feel very strongly about. And my questions were tossed to the curb and labeled as unfaithful. It hurt.

Questions and doubts are topics that are briefly discussed by church leaders. We are told to doubt our doubts (ref) and questioning in public spaces is discouraged. We are told that having questions is normal but are dismissed when we ask the hard ones. Most questions starting with the word "why" are answered with the direction to pray and gain a testimony for ourselves. And these things aren't inherently wrong, they are just limiting. Hard questions obviously are tough to answer. And I think that often, the questions we ask are questions the people we are asking have as well. But I wish that didn't have to mean we stay quiet.

I want to know why I am not supposed to say certain words. I want an explanation of how a few inches difference in hemline can determine righteousness. I want someone to explain to me why some forms of caffeine are acceptable while others are not. I don't want to follow commandments without understanding them. To me, the commandment to love one another seems like the most, if not the only important one, yet the most ignored. And I just want to understand why the directions we're given that to me seem petty or annoyingly specific get more attention than commandments as simple and powerful as love.

The fact that I am not satisfied with blind obedience may be a personality quirk, but I have the feeling I am not alone in feeling this way. In fact, I am sure that many people have these same questions in addition to many of their own. And I think it's leading many, especially individuals around my age, to leave the church altogether.

By leaving questions unanswered and unaddressed, we tell people that they need to figure things out on their own. And they may come out of that with stronger faith and a better understanding. But they could also end up confused and discouraged.

At this point in my personal and spiritual development, I do not blame those who leave the church when they have doubts. Being a member can be hard. We act like it's not, but it is. ("We" referring to the general church population). And then we judge people who leave for not being strong enough or not having enough faith. Or even more likely, we just do not understand how it's even possible that someone could walk away from something that brings us so much joy. We view leaving as a failure and a betrayal. As a whole, we really are just bad at letting people decide that a different lifestyle or belief system is better for them than Mormonism.

Mormons do not have a monopoly on truth. In fact, we get things wrong fairly often, I think. And honestly, every member has a different idea of what truth even is. We need to stop shaming people for asking questions and subsequently shaming them if they choose to leave. We need to let people discover their personal versions of truth. We need to ask and answer hard questions. Asking questions is how we learn and grow. Progress is impossible without inquisition. If asking these questions brings people closer to LDS doctrine and increases their faith, that is wonderful. But we need to remember that questions might have the opposite effect for some people. And that doesn't make them weak or wrong. It just means that they are still on the journey to find what lifestyle works best for them. And really, we all have that in common no matter what we believe.

9 comments:

  1. Check out CESletter.org - might address some concerns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CES Letter doesn't address concerns. It's a list of concerns, often distributed by ex-members and sometimes used to persuade members of the church to question their testimonies. I've found CES Letter to be informative in the past, but it's certainly not where you go to address concerns. I just want to put that out there for anyone who may visit that site.

      Delete
  2. Love this. I feel the same way about all of this. I have a testimony of the fundamentals of the gospel, but there are lots of things that I have questions about. I've felt that my questions don't turn to doubts until people accuse my questioning as a lack of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First all I applaud you for expressing something so many people struggle with. Just recently in a discussion with a brother in-law he expressed what your saying in this way. We (General LDS population) often center our testimonies on the truthfulness of the church. When what our central focus should be is Jesus Christ, his gospel and atonement. Just the other day during stake conference we were reminded of the 2 great commandments, love God with all that you have and love his children (everyone). I think that it is so important to remember 2 things, while you are correct Mormons as individuals and a culture do get things wrong. We are imperfect like everyone. We have access to the priesthood authority and saving ordinances to allow us to return to the Savior and Heavenly Father. The 2nd important thing the remember is that we are all doing the best we can. I believe that our eternal spirits know there is something more and I believe that everyone is trying to make sense of what they see and experience and what their spirit feels.
    In response to your question about question, sometimes there is no revealed answer, so the only thing people can say and not be wrong is pray and study. I've had and have questions like that. The thing that I've learned is that the Lord is ok with me asking him again and again. A few things I've felt I have a better understanding, but mostly I feel a Loving Father and Brother reassuring me of their love for me and others. In short I feel them reminded that I have a work to do. To love them and others. So trust them. I used to think of that as blind following, but I've learned it is deliberate Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article was actually not what I expected it to be. So many members of the church seem to criticize and belittle things that we believe in because "they don't agree". I found this refreshing because it points out a culture created by church members, and not the church itself. It is healthy to question and wonder about doctrine and seek answers for yourself. I have found that the things that I have had "doubts" and questions about in the past, are now the things that I have the greatest testimony in.

    Doubts and questions are not a sign of a lack of faith. I feel like they are more of a sign of desire, a desire to UNDERSTAND, which is what God wants for us. He wants us to be people of a sound understanding, and he has promised that those who seek will be given ALL things in time.

    Overall I think the biggest thing to remember is that if you really want to know, and you put in the effort, the understanding will come and you will be better off because you took the time to understand.

    We cannot be saved in ignorance, and we do need to learn and UNDERSTAND all things eventually. So for those who question, keep questioning. Just make sure that your questioning draws you closer to him, and not further away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber,
    I just wanted to say that this blog post put in words what I've been thinking and struggling with for years. I agree completely with your points here. How can we learn without any answers? Matthew 7:24 says we should build our faith on rock, not on sand. I believe that is means that we need to know truth and facts to help keep our beliefs strong. If we don't have a sturdy foundation our faith will wash away with the rain (this is blind faith). If you would like to discuss this more I would to talk! My Twitter is @mckinleemayer. Again, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i found this post, and your blog, through BCC. and i'm so grateful i did. though strangers with likely no previous interaction, i find myself in so much of who you are and what you write. thank you for unapologetically and authentically writing about what troubles you. it helps me, and i'm sure many others, not feel so crazy and alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not for the first time, you are taking offense at, or misunderstanding things, that you could understand if you would just go to the Temple.
    You may not realize that some questions you ask about, may be things that people have covenanted not to discuss outside the Temple. Obviously, I am not talking hemlines here. �� The other issue that you may be encountering, is some peoples' good intentions. It is much like a child learning to fold laundry; Mom could always step in and do it more quickly and efficiently, but then that child will not grow or learn.
    Some amswers need to come by personal revelation. So you can chat about them, sure. But you can not receive a testimony concerning them that way.
    And lastly, the Church is perfect, the Saints are not, and nowhere is the worst of LDS Culture on more prominent display than in Utah. But Christ came to heal the sick and sinful; that includes all of us.
    Maybe have some patience with some of these folks, and explain that you just need a good sounding board as you prayerfully work through a question, and you value their opinion. It might sound less like you are finding fault, or something similar, that might make them uncomfortable.
    There is a lot in the Gospel that can only be found ny digging into deep doctrine, and spending serious time on your knees. And the fact of the matter is, that very few Members do that. So, you may be asking them questions that they can not answer, and they are uncomfortable or embarrassed.
    The basics of the Plan of Salvation are just that; basic. And they can get you home. But every new piece of knowledge, brings new responsibility; "greater light, greater condemnation." So, one should be aware, that's all.
    Short of the Journal of Discourses, Sister Snow's lyrics, or Lectures on Faith, you will not found much written about Heavenly Mother. This is out of respect, and by commandment.
    However, you can undestand quite a bit by inference if you care to look into the Office of God (God is an Office in the Priesthood, that can only be held by a man and woman sealed to each other). This is whete some of your gender musings come to the fore. One needs the appropriate body to match one's spirit (and they are custom made for each spirit, so that they even look alike), in order to receive the correct ordinances, to keep one's second Estate, and progress beyond it. One such ordinance is Priesthood Ordination, and the sealing ordinance.
    And now I will do what you detest, and suggest that you read, study, and pray more on your own. Because you will, if it is important to you, and you are as faithful as you claim to be. And I hope that you do. I also hope that you strongly consider going to the Temple; it would change your perspective quite a lot. ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something to perhaps consider—it’s quite possible that we don’t know more about Our heavenly mother is because there might be more than one of them...

    It’s OK to question things, but beware of straying too far out onto the branches of the tree, it is much more likely to fall. Meekly holding tightly to the trunk of the tree may not seem appealing to our modern and enlightened sensibilities, but there is much more safety, joy, and happiness found there.

    We need to make sure we aren’t seeking a gospel that conforms to our world view, but instead one that requires us to place our will on the altar of sacrifice and yield to the will of one whose ways are not our ways, or whose thoughts are not our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete