Wednesday, November 9, 2016

let's get to work


"If Donald Trump wins the election, I'm moving to (insert various, distant country here)." We've all heard it. I've even said it, but it is no longer a joke. It's a reality.

I'm honestly astounded at the election results. I sat on my couch for hours on end, tense all throughout my body and upset to my stomach, as the thought of Donald Trump being president slowly became a reality. 

Now let's ignore the fact that he is completely unqualified and oblivious to the way our government works. Let's ignore the fact that I disagree with him on most policy. Let's ignore his history of manipulation and failure in business. Ignore his temperament and lack of professionalism. 

Let's look at the fact that his presidency makes me and many others feel physically unsafe. Not just the fact that he is president, but that there are enough people who are willing to support and even celebrate his utterly hateful and divisive rhetoric, behavior, and policy. This is not okay. People should not be this terrified by the outcome of an election. People should not feel unsafe in their own country. Our president elect is an accused rapist. Our president elect is a white supremacist. Our president elect is a misogynist. I'm horrified and disgusted that it has come to this. I honestly never considered it as an actual possible outcome. I thought we were smarter, more loving, and more inclusive than this. 

But I say all of this in a very heated and emotionally charged state. My fingers are crossed very tightly hoping that this pain and heartache goes away. And when it does, I will be ready to work. Because heaven knows, we've got a lot to do. 

I do not expect any of you to respect him. I know that I do not and will not. But I will stand with my country and for what I believe in. I will love my fellow Americans. I will love and support people of color, the lgbt* community, women, children, immigrants, and refugees. And I will fight like hell for all of you.

Do not leave. Don't even joke about it. Leaving the US is saying you are not willing to fight anymore. Leaving is giving up. I'm not ready to do that. And I hope none of you are either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment