Sunday, November 16, 2014

#relationshipgoals

If you've been on any social media platform in the last month you've probably seen this recent posting fad. Many people, specifically teenage girls, have participated in this by posting the hashtag #relationshipgoals with something that they desire in a relationship. It is totally fine to have things that you like or look for in a relationship, but I think this trend may have taken things a bit too far. Most of these posts that I see depict pretty unrealistic expectations, but, guess what, no one is that perfect.

I've only been in one relationship, currently my love life is basically non-existent, and I'm pretty sure I'm the worst flirter to ever walk this earth, but even though discrediting yourself is a horrible writing technique, I'm gonna admit to not being the most knowledgeable on the subject. But I do know this, if your expectations for a significant other are too high, you are always gonna end up disappointed. Relationships aren't meant to be perfect and we need to stop expecting them to be.

I really just want girls to know that though they may get the cute romantic gesture every once in a while, you can't always expect it. Not every boy has perfect abs or gorgeous hair. Sometimes they space things and don't tell you how they feel. So if you want to be happier, have more realistic goals. Don't ever lower your standards, but maybe lower your expectations a bit.

So I want to share a couple of my #relationshipgoals...

1. I want to be with someone that I can argue with one minute (because it will happen) but then turn around and be fine the next. No grudges.

2. I want to be with someone who loves their family.

3. I want to be with someone who will love me as I am, but also not be afraid to tell me when I'm acting ridiculous.

4. I want someone who loves God, knows what they believe and lives it.

5. I want to be with someone who knows when to be serious and when to have fun.

6. I want to be with someone who treats the entire female population with respect.

The list could continue for a while, because I am a girl and it's what we do. But maybe we don't have to be so materialistic or high-maintenance. Stop expecting giant bouquets of flowers or expensive jewelry or rippling pectorals. Expect love, respect, care, loyalty, honesty, etc. Expect the things that truly matter. And to all the fellas out there, this goes to you too. Girls can be crazy and sensitive and vague and clingy and imperfect. None of us have perfect bodies. Sometimes our hair gets messy. Sometimes we'll say things that hurt you. But we do care.

No one's perfect and it's not fair to expect it. Expect trials and faults. Find the person that makes it all worth it. And when it comes to showing that you care, just remember that it's the little things that mean the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment